In order to make sure that everyone has a fair stab at
getting to the top of the Ladder we have introduced the
Formal Challenge system. This allows you to
specifically challenge another user for a match through
our Web page. If you are having trouble finding a user
in chat, that you need to play, this is for you.
Formal Challenge Rules
There are some special rules surrounding formal challenges.
It is pretty straight-forward and the rules may differ from
ladder to ladder based on the number of participants on that
- You have to be within a rank range to utilize
the formal challenge system (Generally 50 or better
on larger ladders, 20 or better on smaller ones).
- You may have only one formal challenge involving
you at any time:
- You may issue one formal challenge at a time, or
- One formal challenge may be issued against you at any time.
- You are restricted from challenging the same
user twice in a row for a period of time (This
prevents friends from locking up their
- You have a pre-determined number of days
during which to play challenges (This varies
depending on the ladder size and activity level).
- Failure to complete a formal challenge will
result in BOTH players receiving a failure in
their records. Accumulation of three failures
will result in penalties (This discourages BOTH
users from avoiding a challenge). A permanent
note is also made on the user records.
- Formal challenges are recorded automatically
when you report ladder results. There is no
special reporting procedure. They will show
up in the daily results as a formal challenge.
- A challenge is cleared immediately following
a match report. This means that as soon as you
play a challenge another challenge can be filed
- Players in the top ten are eligible to
challenge any member of the top ten ranked
better than they are. Players outside of
the top ten are limited to challenging half
the distance of their rank. For example,
if you are ranked 20 you could challenge
anyone ranked 10-19. If you are ranked 50,
however, you can only challenge those ranked
- You cannot challenge someone ranked under you.
To make a challenge complete the form on the FORMAL
CHALLENGE link. This will record your formal challenge
or inform you why you cannot make the challenge.
- The challenged player will be sent an
E-mail letting them know about the challenge
issued against them. Bounced E-mail will be
considered a forfeit.
- Challenged players should contact the
player challenging them via E-mail or in
chat to arrange a match time.
- Players who have made the challenge
should contact the challenged via E-mail
if they have not heard anything within a day
or so of issuing the challenge, or find the
user in chat.
- Formal Challenges are satisfied by playing
a normal Ladder match using standard Ladder
rules or by playing a tournament match if the
tournament is a LadderStats tournament.
- Formal challenges take priority over
all other matches. If someone has a formal
challenge against you and they are available
to play, you must play them next.